Our engineers work closely with clients to create bespoke solutions ranging from concept studies, upgrades, clean sheet designs and demonstrator programs through to fully developed and validated production products.
We have comprehensive engineering capabilities across all drivetrain applications. Not only do we design conventional transmissions, we also provide solutions for EV and hybrid applications. We can provide a full range of solutions from cost-optimised systems to transmissions for premium performance applications.
SELECT-R: Ricardo’s synthesis process for planetary automatic transmissions
Automatic transmission (AT) powertrains will require highly integrated electrification to reduce vehicle CO2 emissions whilst maintaining key application attributes and minimising additional BOM costs. Ricardo have created SELECT-R, a rapid, robust and efficient synthesis process for identifying the optimum conventional or electrified planetary automatic transmission architecture for a chosen application.
The SELECT-R process is able to select AT architectures for your applications, whether they are for passenger car, off-highway, military or other applications.
Simulation and analysis
Simulation and analysis of complex systems is at the heart of the design process and is key to achieving truly optimised transmission products. We focus on strategic use of CAE to optimise designs, investigate and resolve problems, and minimise time and cost to market. Our advanced geartrain modelling and analysis software package, SABR™, provides the foundation of concept and definitive design for all driveline and transmission projects that we undertake.
Ricardo also provides SABR™ under licence enabling companies to optimise their own solutions, faster.
Key benefits of the Ricardo Service
- One of the world’s leading and most successful transmission and driveline design teams with deep technical knowledge of the industries we serve
- Access to the extensive knowledge base, facilities and expertise of the Ricardo organisation
- Gear design using Ricardo SABR/Gear and rated according to BS ISO 6336
- Shaft and bearing analysis and rating according to ISO 281, ISO 16281 and ISO 76 using the Ricardo SABR™ package
- Fast, flexible and responsive design, with projects tailored to each customer’s individual requirements and including training and technology transfer as desired
- Secure systems with the complete assurance of confidentiality