In response to increasing demand for low-carbon technologies, Ricardo engineers help clients meet the challenges of vehicle hybridisation and electrification, from micro and mild hybridisation to plug in hybrids, fuel cell and fully electric vehicles.
We have helped to deliver more than 200 projects in this fast-growing sector, from concept and market studies to proof of concept design and development and full production programmes.
Hybrid and electric systems powertrain engineering
Ricardo specializes in high value and versatile solutions that meet customer requirements for all markets and applications. We work with the world’s leading automakers, vehicle component and system manufacturers, government agencies and industry regulatory bodies, providing unparalleled experience and expertise in vehicle hybridization, electrification, and the deployment of next-generation energy management and storage solutions.
Ricardo provides a comprehensive service covering hybrid and electric vehicle product development for all markets and applications:
- Strategic studies related to legislation, business drivers and technology including lifecycle cost, total cost of ownership and strategic procurement, and concept demonstration of advanced technologies
- Complete systems design, integration, vehicle build and productionisation of parallel, power-split and series configurations as well as all-electric solutions
- Architecture definition and comprehensive vehicle modelling, system specification and design, safety analysis and implementation of safety critical control systems, and control algorithm development to achieve sophisticated functionality and fuel economy objectives
- Hybrid and electric driveline and transmission design, development and prototype manufacture
- Engine design, calibration and optimisation for hybrid applications
- Design and development of electrical and electronic components including vehicle control units, electrical machines, power converters, high voltage harnesses and full vehicle, system and component EMC development
- Components and systems development and integration, testing and validation
- Vehicle level integration and optimization, homologation and industrialisation support
- Battery pack and charging station design, engineering, development and testing, including rapid prototype battery management systems
- Robust programme management and bespoke development and validation processes
Key benefits of the Ricardo service
- Ricardo’s depth of strategic knowledge and technical experience enables customers to move quickly from concept to production
- Proven expertise in complex programme management and delivery with well in excess of 200 Hybrid and Electric Vehicle projects successfully completed
- World-class hybrid and EV development resources and facilities
- In-depth knowledge of automotive and power distribution sectors and associated technologies
- A deep technical understanding and proven expertise to develop, validate and implement into production virtually any vehicle architecture
- Flexible and collaborative approach, delivering high value, high quality solutions to time and within budget, while meeting customer expectations for training and technology transfer